A good excuse for a new dress

pib pinterest A good excuse for a new dress IMG 0254 1024x1024 A good excuse for a new dress

I love a good excuse to dress up and feel fancy. Dave’s Firm Christmas Party was a great chance to whip me up something nice. I hadn’t sewn for myself since I was pib pinterest A good excuse for a new dressvery pregnant (with good reason, who wants to sew “I don’t quite fit into my real clothes” clothes?) The inspiration for this dress was a simple silk French Connection shirt that I tried on over Thanksgiving. I loved the drape of the silk, the simple round neck and the cuffed sleeves. I thought it would be fun to take those elements into a dress. Then I went shopping for silk and settled on this chartreuse. It’s one of my favorite go-to colors for other things, so why not for a dress? I loved it in the store, then hated it at 2 am when I was trying on the dress as I made it (granted, with no makeup, a bun, and dark circles under my needed-to-be-sleeping eyes:) It seemed bad for my skin tone, or too much of an in-between color. I was wishing I had chosen the sharp Navy blue that I had debated… Then over the last two days the “Jungle Gold”  it has grown on me again and I think I’m back to loving it. What do you think? Weird color or cool color? IMG 02531 1024x1024 A good excuse for a new dress

Without the belt, the dress shape is a simple tunic with a rounded hem. The construction was relatively simple. Four seams, adding sleeve cuffs and then finishing the edges (which was tricky with silk, but this tutorial helped a ton). I love the I think it will be really fun to wear plain in warmer weather with sandals. I also tried it with a thin, gold chain belt slung lower on the hips, and it gives it a cool drop-waist. My favorite, however, is with this turquoise satin tie (that came with a Banana Republic crocheted vest my sister handed me down. Random.) I think the pop of color compliments the “Jungle Gold” silk.
As far as “styling” (as I think of it because of Project Runway), I kept it simple with my emerald cut bauble necklace, the perfect gold flats, and my new shade of red lips.
It was really great to meet a bunch of Dave’s coworkers and bosses and feel fancy, stylish, and comfortable.
*Forgive the iPhone photos taken in the hallway of the mall (next to the Hotel where the shindig was held.) Turns out it’s weird to haul your DLSR to the company party to take photos of yourself…
pixel A good excuse for a new dress

1. chelsea
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I personally really like it! I think with the red lips it’s a fabulous color! Good choice on that lip.

Posted December 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Thanks. Choosing a red was tricky! I think I got a good one for me.

2. Posted December 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

It isn’t the color for me (quite pale and chemically blonde ) but the color looks good on you. I like the turquoise satin tie. I bet you got a lot of compliments and could say “this ole thing, I whipped it up last night.”. It’s a great dress!

3. Posted December 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I love this color! I think it works really well. And is really different from a Navy or Black. Very festive. I love the new site as well. Congratulations!

4. Posted December 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I really like it with that belt, it makes it super fun. And you pull off a unique color very well! I like it. I would have probably gone with the navy because I’m super cautious like that, but I love what you did! Thanks for sharing!

5. sarah
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

i really love the color. i have a pencil skirt that color from jcrew and surprisingly it is my favorite skirt, it goes with so much! and that red lip makes your teeth look fantastic. beautiful.

Posted December 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

I’m glad you like it. It is for sure a J.Crew hue…I’ve got a pencil skirt with this color polka dots on it, and it’s one of my favorites, too! And thanks about the teeth-they look good until I get that red smeared on them:) I’ll be careful…

6. Megan
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

I think the dress looks awesome!