Eliot’s Christmas Quilt

pib pinterest Eliots Christmas Quilt IMG 0313 1024x1024 Eliots Christmas Quilt

Of all of my handmade gifts this year, for some reason this one means the most. Maybe it’s because I had to overcome a serious mental block against sewing quilts (the billion pieces, straight lines, need for attention to detail and hand stitching are all major stumbling blocks for me). Or maybe because it’s a blanket, which is inherently nostalgic and timeless. Or maybe it’s just because it’s for my peanut Eliot who has serious grip on my heartstrings. Whatever the reason, this one I seem to want to take everywhere and show everyone and use everyday. And I am:)

pib pinterest Eliots Christmas Quilt IMG 0314 1024x1024 Eliots Christmas Quilt

I got the idea for the gradient color from the one toy we bought for E this Christmas. I love fabric, but am not really much into prints, I guess because most apparel is not print, and that’s what I mostly work with? So I wanted to go with straight, simple color solids. I used all 100% Kona cotton for the front, and went with this great Echo fabric for the back, because it was simple, neutral, and most important to me: masculine.

pib pinterest Eliots Christmas Quilt IMG 0315 1024x1024 Eliots Christmas Quilt

After finishing the top, I tweeted my friend Katie (who happens to also be a quilting genius) “I have no idea what to do next!” And it was true. She sent me some great tutorials to walk me through basting the layers (with a combination of basting adhesive spray AND pins, just to be sure:) quilting and binding. I decided to quilt a single line 1/2″ from each seam. I had planned on doing more, but when I finished the one side, I loved the simple, off-set stripe that the quilting lent. Then I was ready to bind. Totally clueless, and apparently unable to read and decipher simple tutorial instructions…I created a double fold bias tape, like I use in apparel, and sewed the whole thing on before realizing I needed single-fold. So I unpicked, re-ironed my binding, and stitched again (this is about midnight on Christmas Eve and Dave is working on Milo’s gift…) Then I was ready to hand stitch the back of the binding. After two hokey Christmas movies on Hulu, I was finished.

I’m going to go ahead and say that Eliot loves it.He hasn’t really told me that yet, but he seems quite content to play on his colorful new quilt. And I am over the moon for it. Is it weird to have a crush on a blanket? I see more quilting in my future…watch out.

pixel Eliots Christmas Quilt

1. Posted December 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

it´s beautiful!!!

2. Posted December 29, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

First of all, it’s just perfect. I’ve actually wanted to do something like this just recently. And I totally agree with you about solid color quilting. The quilts I’ve made in the past I used prints, and I’ve regretted it. Solid is classic and bold and more design focused. I want to make quilts for merritt and Jo that both use Orange, with different color accents. And although quilting isn’t my favorite sewing medium, there is definitely something therapuetic about it, don’t you think?

Posted December 30, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

Totally therapeutic. Especially in a middle-of-the-night silent house. And about solids vs. prints…Though I spied a couple tartan/check quilts in Anthropologie this week that I MIGHT be able to find a place in my heart for (swoon.)

3. chelsea
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 1:00 am | Permalink

Absolutely adorable! I actually have one very similar, in more girl colors that I had in elementary and still LOVE it. I’m sure he’s over the moon about it too.

4. Posted December 30, 2011 at 1:40 am | Permalink

I love this! I’m inspired to try one!

Posted December 30, 2011 at 3:36 am | Permalink

! hope you do! It was far easier than I had imagined it to be. Simple lines help:)