The Un-Gift Guide

pib pinterest The Un Gift Guide IMG 9063 1024x682 The Un Gift Guide There are some fantastic gift guides floating around the inter web these last few weeks. I am taking full advantage of the ideas and trying to follow the advice of wiser givers. In general, I think I do okay with giving creative useful and fun gifts. For some reason, though, Christmas for Dave has been tricky every year. So, I thought I’d add my voice to the gift guide chorus with just a couple tips.

What not to get your husband for Christmas:

A Toaster: Don’t get me wrong, this is a fantastic toaster, and we have loved having it. But let’s be honest. It was more for me than him. And that old advice about not giving women gifts with power cords? I think it can apply to men, too.

An iPod shuffle: This one could be okay, if your husband isn’t notorious for losing things that are any smaller than his car. And if you think he needs music, at least get him a real iPod. His little blue one lasted about two months before it disappeared into never land.

A hundred Crane & Company personalized law student networking cards with a website to match: This seemed like such a great idea, yet we have a box of 99 personalized calling cards sitting on the dresser two years later (I put one in my wallet like a proud wife). First, a law student doesn’t need networking cards, he needs to network. And since he is only a law student for three years, they quickly become outdated. Second, a law student doesn’t need a website. And, if he did, he would also need someone to manage it for him so he could concentrate on being a law student. (A much more suitable alternative would be personalized correspondence cards for sending thank-you’s to all of his interviewers. A hundred may be excessive.)

A Twist and Sparkle beverage maker. Okay, this one wasn’t too bad, but really? A water carbonator? I thought he’d love it since he loves carbonated water. But I think part of the greatness of carbonated water is that it’s already carbonated. We actually do pull this baby out from time to time, but I’m not sure he’d miss it.

So, steer clear of the above, and your Holiday is sure to be successful.

What are you getting your husband this year? Something awesome?

pixel The Un Gift Guide

1. Posted December 14, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

I think I’ve done pretty well for my husband at Christmas time. I’d have to say his favorites have been his mp3 player (like 7 years ago before ipods were big, and discmans were fading out), and then later his ipod classic, his power tools, his PSP along with games, and last, but not least (I think it’s been his all time favorite), a longboard that he takes out and rides around the neighborhood on. We have tons of hills, and he loves to grab one of our kids and put them on there with him. They love it.

This year, I got him buckyballs. He loves toys, and stuff he can do with our kids, so I think they’ll be a hit.

Posted December 14, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Awesome. Now I have to go google Buckyballs!

2. Posted December 14, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Really cute idea for a post! It does suck when something you thought would be a great gift ends up falling flat, doesn’t it?

Posted December 14, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

For sure. I definitely over think this and then am disappointed when the gift isn’t perfect. I need to just get him something fun and who cares if it doesn’t become his all time favorite item! Maybe some Buckyballs?

3. Posted December 14, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

I always fail at gift-giving for my husband. He’s a man with many interests, but he always gets what he wants when it occurs to him, so there’s nothing left to give when Christmas comes around. I’ve even made things for him, but then they never seem to get “used”, which results in my feelings getting hurt. This year should be a success though; I just bought him items off his Amazon wish list.

Posted December 14, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Sounds familiar. I made Dave a huge blanket for our 2nd anniversary and I don’t think I saw it again until this week when he said “Hey, don’t we have any big blankets?” “Yep dear, there’s one in the top of the closet…”

Those amazon wishes are sure to please, but sure not as much fun to give, right?

• Brooke
        Posted December 16, 2011 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Amazon wish lists are perfect for getting the wheels turning and getting the husband to start thinking out loud about what he wants and doesn’t want. SO useful, even if you don’t get something from the list!

4. Posted December 15, 2011 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Ha! To be honest, I always keep track of what items my husband asks me to drag into the shop for him to use. Last thing he asked for is my small hand held mirror. So he will be finding one of those bad boys in his stocking this year. :) For birthday it was pins and needles, wire hangers (from my closet), his own pair of kitchen scissors. He thought it was great, and he keeps them in a special place in his tool box. :) We do practical and cheap around here (if that’s not obvious enough!)

5. Melanie Anderson
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 12:23 am | Permalink

So funny – just called Mike an hour ago and said lets get Dave a shuffle! So glad u blog!

6. Brooke
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 1:56 am | Permalink

What about a favorite childhood game/book he would want to have to share with the boys when they’re a little older? Is he nostalgic about anything like that? I know Will is SO hard to shop for, but whenever I get him something full of nostalgia I hit the jackpot!