Adult Big Bow Dress

pib pinterest Adult Big Bow Dress edited 4 Adult Big Bow Dress

Hello there! You knew it would only be a matter of time before I got tired of sending adorable Big Bow dresses away to little girls, and made one for myself. I had a little encouragement from Reagan, my last Bow Dress customer, who emailed “This dress is adorable! If only it came in my size…” I had been wondering how the dress would convert into an adult style, so over the weekend I took it to the drawing board. I teetered between using silk or a poly blend for the fabric, and ended up choosing the poly because of the slight stretch that would make a narrower silhouette more comfortable. I based the pattern on my measurements alone, and winged the shape a bit.

pib pinterest Adult Big Bow Dress edited 6 Adult Big Bow Dress

Though I incorporated cap sleeves into the bodice because I don’t wear tanks, I think the width of the shoulder below the bow really adds to the dress. The bow extending past the dress, like it does on the little version, may be a more juvenile look.  I began with more of an a-line dress, like the original, but ended up taking the whole skirt in a couple inches because it was looking a bit tent-y on me. Turns out I love this as a pencil dress!  I do think that it would be awesome in a lightweight silk with a wide a-line skirt as a really mini dress (to wear over leggings) or even a blouse. I’ll try that out on another day.

For now, it’s really fun to have a great new dress to put on my familiar old (finally pre-pregnancy) body.

What do you think? Kinda want one, too?

pixel Adult Big Bow Dress

1. Christy G
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 2:37 am | Permalink

Yes. I do.

Posted January 25, 2012 at 2:41 am | Permalink

You’re in luck, because I do custom orders:) Contact me for info!

2. mandiscandal
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 2:45 am | Permalink

1. you are gorgeous. 2. everything you do is amazing.

Posted January 25, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

haha thanks Mandi:)

3. Christy G
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Maybe after I have a baby in June :) That Pencil silhouette wouldn’t quite work right now.

Posted January 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Oh, a June baby! Congrats! It’s a perfect time to have one. I loved being able to head outside without too much worry of illness after E came along on June 21. xo

4. Megan
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 3:43 am | Permalink

You look gorgeous and I love the dress! p.s. I made black bean burgers tonight so I can eat them everyday this week. I love them :) Hope you guys are doing well!

Posted January 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks Meg! I’m glad you love those. They’re on the menu for Saturday at our house! mmmm.

5. Laura
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh! I want one! You look amazing and the dress is gorgeous! I’m afraid it wouldn’t look as good on me but I would love to custom order one. What do I need to do?

6. Posted January 25, 2012 at 4:30 am | Permalink

I completely adore this!! And I must say you look amazing for just having a baby – well, it’s been a bit, but STILL!

7. Barbie Harper
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 4:35 am | Permalink

Miranda, you’re looking fab! Not that I’m surprised. Your sewing talents are enviable. This dress is soooo so cute.

8. Posted January 25, 2012 at 4:42 am | Permalink

Umm… If you ever sell adult sizes, I want one in every color!

Posted January 25, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Glad you like it:) I am taking custom orders for this dress, so send over an email for info!

9. Vee
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink

What about some matching bow ties for Milo and Eliot? Would really set this gorgeous dress off!

10. Posted January 25, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Lovely!

11. Meghan
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

OMG so adorable, once I am back to pre pregnancy body I will be ordering my second thing from you (currently in the 18th week of pregnancy crossing off my numbers!). This just says a summer party all over it.

12. Rachele
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Wow I love it! Seriously I need to live by you one day so you can teach me some of your mad skills. You look great by the way!

13. Taylor Norseth
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 2:55 am | Permalink

I want both versions, dress and mini. By the way you look fantastic, I can only hope that by the time my baby is 6 months i could look that good.

14. Brooke
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Miranda,

You’re website looks awesome. And yes I do want this dress!

Hope you guys are great,
    xoxo
    brooke

15. Kim
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

You are gorgeous! Forget nursing, you could be a model!

Posted January 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

You’re nice. That makes me feel good as I approach my 30′s and bellyache to Dave about the circles under my eyes and my newly developing smile lines:)

16. Jared
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Love it! You look amazing lil sis!

17. Posted January 27, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

This is darling on you! Very Jackie-O, retro glam. All you need is the little gloves and pillbox hat. Love it!

18. Ivy
    Posted February 10, 2012 at 3:12 am | Permalink

So darling, Miranda! You wear it well.

19. Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:47 am | Permalink

OMG!!!!! Yay Miranda!!! Be still my heart, I’m SEW excited now to make this for ME!!!!

20. jovani
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:26 am | Permalink

I absolutely want this dress in my size. Is this possible? Do you make them to sell or sell the pattern? I love it in the pencil skirt but would also love It in a shorter (like kissing the top of the knees shorter) and more flowy version as well.

Posted July 17, 2012 at 8:56 am | Permalink

I’m glad you like it Jovani! I take custom orders for it. Contact me directly and we can discuss details.

21. Lee
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 8:06 am | Permalink

This would be darling as mother / daughter dresses or bridesmaid / flower girl dresses. As for a wedding, this would be one dress the participants really could wear again. Beautiful job.

22. Cynthia
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

I think this dress would be really cute and flirty as a swing style mid thigh to above the knee with a great pair of tights and shoes! I love the fitted version as a more formal or work attire.

23. Lauren
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Hi how much do you charge for these dresses?

Posted January 13, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Hi there Lauren! I’m not taking custom orders until the spring, and my price depends on a few variables, but usually begins around $150 for a custom dress. Thanks for your interest! xo

24. Wendy
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I’m making the bow dress for my two granddaughters and would like to make the adult dress for my daughter. Do you have a pattern for the adult? They both are beautiful.

Posted February 21, 2014 at 10:29 am | Permalink

I don’t have a pattern out for the adult dress. Once you make the two little dresses, you’ll understand how to create the tricky bow. So, you could choose a simple women’s dress pattern, and add a bow to the front by increasing the front fold line at the top by 2″ to make room for the pleats. Create the pleats, button hole, and bow, then complete the rest of the women’s dress as the pattern instructs! Good Luck!