Goals and God

pib pinterest Goals and God IMG 9436 682x1024 Goals and God

Something about the New Year whispers change to people’s hearts. During the Holiday Season, we hopefully have turned our thoughts to God, and that sets us up perfectly to create some meaningful goals for the New Year that will bring us closer to Him. My resolutions this year were semi-flippant: to floss daily (trying to avoid more fillings with this new dentist who forgets to numb me before drilling…for real), read the Book of Mormon daily (which I tried and failed to do last year, something about missing ONE day throws me all off…), and hitting the gym to take full advantage of our new passes (I’m out of baby weight to lose, but would like to rock a one-piece this summer which means exnay on the aretirespay). Lah dee dah, gonna get’m done.

And then I had a really bad day. And, I realized that I’ve had more “off” days lately than I’d care to admit. I spilled my guts to Dave (what else are husbands for?) about how I am a horrible person with a bad attitude. He picked me up, dusted me off, sat me down, and we discussed REAL resolutions, goals in line with true principles and fundamental changes of habit and heart. We started at the beginning “What are your priorities?” and I’m all “what ARE they, or what SHOULD they be…because I’m so off balance that those two things are very different.” “Okay, what do you WANT your priorities to be?”

God

Family

Self

Creativity

Service

Then we began at the top and started discussing what life looks like with God first. What it looks like to have Family above self and above Creativity (ahem.) How to create opportunities for Service, or take advantage of those already present.

But most of all, I am starting with putting God first.  I am exercising my faith in the statement I have had resonating in my head from a young age, spoken by the Prophet of my youth, Ezra Taft Benson: “When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims for our affection, the demands on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities (The Great Commandment, Ensign, May 1988).”

I’m not really sure what will stay and what will “drop out of [my life]”  But I do know that there is peace in my heart, happiness in my home, and this inexplicable confidence that comes into my life when I put God first. When I open communication with Him through a morning prayer, and continue that conversation as I try to listen to the whispers of His spirit, He allows me to see my day in perspective of a bigger picture, making TIME spent on REAL things and relationships far more important than something otherwise engaging and time CONSUMING. “Read the Book of Mormon Daily” changes into a desire to better know and understand the Word of God and the gospel of Jesus Christ. For myself and my own faith, as well as for my children, because I am their constant teacher and example. If I don’t know, believe, and live these truths, will they?

The day after our Priority Pow Wow, I had a good day. Like, a really good day. And I realized that nothing about it was very different than the days before…except for ME. Putting God first was really a stepping stone to starting with the woman in the mirror, and making changes within myself to be more patient, more kind, and more understanding. I like that woman, I want her to stick around. There may actually be space in my life for all of the things that I do, I just have to make sure that I am doing the things that matter most first. Only then will I know where everything else should fit.

I am going to be focusing on these priorities, and rebalancing my life a bit. I love this blog, and have really enjoyed the time I spend sharing bits and pieces of my world with you, so I am not tossing it out with wild abandon. I am going to be making time for other, more important and fundamental priorities, so I would love to have you read and comment along even though my posting will probably be less frequent. Blogging is a real time commitment, and at one point I thought I might like to legitimize my time by making it a sort of side-job. But the truth is, I don’t want it to be a job. I want to just love it…whenever and whatever it may be.

So, enjoy your week! I am planning on organizing (at least a corner of) my sewing closet, visiting the zoo with the boys, editing some photos I took for a friend and trying to hang on to survival during my first spinning class, all while improving my relationship with God through meaningful communication and study. Wish me luck!

pixel Goals and God

1. Miranda
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 4:08 am | Permalink

p.s. do you like my look? I call it pink steel.

2. Kate
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 4:23 am | Permalink

love it. love you sis.

3. Posted January 10, 2012 at 5:09 am | Permalink

Miranda, you just get better and better. Thanks for your inspiration. And, although I’ll miss your daily postings, I completely understand. Thank you, for just being so awesome :)

P.S. Love the look!

P.P.S You will LOVE spinning! It is truly one of the highlights of my life :)

4. Posted January 10, 2012 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Hi there! Great post.
    It reminded me of a series by Andy Stanley (my favorite preacher) where he talks about making decisions, and towards the end he talks about honoring God, and how using that filter really puts the rest of your life in perspective and answers many things we might not be sure of when putting ourselves first. I don´t really do resolutions, but that has been a “resolution” since around June last year: honor God in everything. It´s a work in progress, right? This putting God first thing, because it´s not really our instinct, but it pays off when you have a life that is dedicated to Him.
    Great post, and keep going one day at a time. Discipleship is a journey…
    Daily posts will be missed because when I want a break I open the blog, but I´ll be reminded to smile and pray for you because your priorities are, as they should be, elsewhere. :)

Posted January 10, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

You’re right. It’s all a journey. And so much more enjoyable when we live it as such, rather than being in such a hurry to get to whatever the next thing might be. Today is great. Let’s rejoice in that!

5. Laura
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

I have to say this has been one of my favorite posts. This post totally resonated with me and I felt like I could empathize with some of your struggles, thoughts and frustrations with what’s going on in my life lately. I too will miss your daily posting but I have to say what you wrote has inspired me more than maybe a daily creative post would. I admire you for doing recognizing not only what needs to change but for doing it too! That’s a very hard thing to do. Thank you for writing this post, being so honest and helping me to remember I need to do the same in my life. Best wishes.

Posted January 10, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Thank you for sharing. I am glad I could hit a chord with my struggles as much as with my sewing:) Good luck to you, too.

6. Colette
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I love your blog, and read it almost daily, but admit I have wondered how you find the time and energy for all of the projects! I’ve found myself examining my own priorities in the new year as well. It’s great that you have such a supportive husband- I hope to find a relationship like the one y’all have someday. I’ll definitely still be reading regardless of how often you post… Take care!

7. Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Amen, friend. And thank goodness for husbands who can set us straight, right? Allan is always there for me when I go off kilter. Thanks for such as honest post, with all the fluff that is out there, it’s so neat to read something every once in a while that really hits home, and to feel a strong connection with someone.
    You’re a lovely woman, with direction, purpose and talent; I’m so impressed with your resolve and insight!
    xo,
    Mim

8. sarah
    Posted January 24, 2012 at 6:56 am | Permalink

thanks for this great post. i feel the same way.