Thirty Second Microwave Cookie

Am I the last to know that if you put a frozen cookie ball into the microwave for 30 seconds it emergesĀ an ACTUAL cookie, micro baked to perfectly soft and gooey with even a little crispiness around the edge?

pib pinterest Thirty Second Microwave Cookie 30 second cookie 1 Thirty Second Microwave Cookie

Let me back up. I learned from Dave’s mother (a grade A baker) to not bake my entire batch of homemade cookies at once. Rather, I scoop out 6 or so to bake right away, then scoop the rest of the dough onto a separate cookie sheet. I cram as many cookie balls on there as I can get, because the sheet goes into the freezer until I remember it’s there (usually the next day) and can take the frozen cookie balls off and put them in a ziplock bag back in the freezer. We enjoy hot, homemade cookies whenever we want, without making new dough every day. Smart, eh?

It goes without saying that we all (Milo included) often eat frozen cookie dough, because pre-heating the oven, then waiting the 12 minutes for gooey cookies is just not in the time-frame. Silly, really, but true. The other day I was aware that Dave was fiddling with cookie dough in the kitchen, but I figured he was going to bake a few for us. He was…just not in the oven. He decided (I think partially inspired by the pizookie we shared with good friends a month ago) to test out a quick version in the microwave! The first test-time of two-minutes was a total flop. Think chocolate chip cookie emerges looking like a chocolate choclate chip cookie (and smelling like carbon.)

pib pinterest Thirty Second Microwave Cookie 30 second cookie 2 Thirty Second Microwave Cookie

The next test time was 30 seconds, and the cookie emerged perfectly cooked-to-gooey, but more than just warmed-up dough. The bottom even gets a little crisp. It’s absolutely delicious.

This may be silly, but the Thirty Second Cookie has sort of revolutionized dessert at our place. For one, it’s nice and quick, so even Milo gets to enjoy a cookie before bed. Also, we never used to bake just two cookies. At least four and sometimes six, which meant both Dave and I ate 2-3 cookies + ice cream every time we made them (which is pretty close to every day.) Now, just one of these babies with a scoop of vanilla bean on top and we are good to go! It’s practically like a diet. The Thirty Second Cookie Diet. Perfect.

pib pinterest Thirty Second Microwave Cookie 30 second cookie 3 Thirty Second Microwave Cookie

Sometimes the best things in life are the most simple.

I’m so happy I married a scientist (Dave’s BS is Chemistry) whose experiments lead to deliciousness. Thanks honey!

pixel Thirty Second Microwave Cookie

1. Posted January 22, 2012 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Oh man, my diet is DOOMED…

Posted January 22, 2012 at 4:51 am | Permalink

Rebecca, this IS your new diet:)

2. Posted January 26, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

I am 14 weeks along … the baby thanks you so much right now. SO SO Much.

3. Posted June 8, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

ahh, this is going to argue with the button on my jeans, but it’s something i’ll have to try now that you’ve ingrained this idea in my mind haha :P

4. Posted December 10, 2012 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Thanks for this! You’ve solved all of my cookie problems.

Posted December 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Happy to help, Phil:)

5. Anonymous
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 6:38 am | Permalink

hey, sorry to bother you, but where exactly is the recipe??? can’t find it on the page…

Posted January 13, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Hi there! You’re not crazy, there actually isn’t a recipe on this post. The 30-second microwave trick works with any type of frozen cookie dough! I always freeze a batch in scoops of whatever variety cookie I’m making, then microwave (and top with ice cream!) to serve in a flash later:)

6. Riley
    Posted January 21, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Does this work with pre-made cookie dough (such as toll house)? I only have a microwave and everyone has said that it won’t bake the dough. Maybe freezing it was the thing that made it work.

Posted January 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

yes! It works will every variety of dough that I’ve tried. The cookie doesn’t get crispy and “baked” but definitely bakes enough that each bite has the texture of an oven-baked cookie. I’ve never tried without freezing the dough, so maybe that’s a key? Good luck! xo