Bicycle Dress

pib pinterest Bicycle Dress IMG 0429 Bicycle Dress

I spent my Saturday sewing. Dave took the boys out to the park and I had several uninterrupted daylight hours to work on projects. I got a good start on my Easter dress orders, incentivizing myself with the chance to work on this bicycle dress if I stayed focused and finished my task-list. Doing just one thing (sewing) for a few hours in row was refreshing. I need to mono-task more often!

IMG 0418 Bicycle Dress

The material for this dress came straight from 1985 via my mom’s sewing room (that has cupboards and drawers full of years worth of fabric sales!) I look around every time I’m visiting and ask for permission to relieve her of a few yards. I initially planned on using this bicycle print for some unknown something for my kids, but when I spotted a very similar motif in Anthropologie a few weeks ago, I knew it was destined to be a dress for me instead, made just how I like them with sleeves and pockets.

pib pinterest Bicycle Dress IMG 0420 Bicycle Dress

I began the bodice with B4443 (I do reference commercial patterns on occasion) and adjusted it for a better fit. Then I added a full gathered skirt and pockets to the side seams. I love the easy, yet tailored fit of the top, and the full skirt makes it fun and flirty. The dress is fully lined, which makes it comfortable, and adds a layer for structure and body.

pib pinterest Bicycle Dress IMG 0433 Bicycle Dress

I can’t wait for it to warm up even more so I can romp around the city in my bicycle dress. Maybe even ride a bicycle in it?

The thought of creating a Spring Wardrobe has crossed my mind, but I’ll have to see how much time I think I will have to sew for myself in the next couple months. I’d love this bicycle dress to have some new friends in my closet. We’ll see what happens. For now, “I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike…” will stay on repeat in my head and I’ll be smiling.

pixel Bicycle Dress

1. Posted February 27, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Amazingly cute!!!

2. Mellisa Dean
    Posted February 27, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Just love the retro-vibe in this dress! So cool! I have Vespa (as in the scooter) material in brown and I really should make a top with it – just don’t own a sewing machine! Ha! xx

Posted February 27, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Vespa fabric? That sounds awesome! Send it over and I’ll make each of us a top from it;)

• Mellisa Dean
        Posted February 28, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Ha! I’ll fish it out of my spare room and send you a picture – maybe it will inspire you! I’m not sure how much fabric I have. My mum sent it over from New Zealand in the hope I’d make something… Never quite got around to it! :) Would be cool if you could make something neat, though…

Posted February 28, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Great idea, I’d love to see it. Mom’s are wonderful, right?

3. Kim
    Posted February 27, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Is the grass really that green in DC already? Man, I need to get out of Minnesota.
    Super cute dress too, by the way. :)

4. Posted February 27, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Wow! That dress is so adorable, it is really the perfect print!

5. Posted February 27, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

I love that you used this print for a dress – it’s just perfect! How fun for spring!

6. Melanie Anderson
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

love the bike dress and love the little milo face in there.

7. Tally
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Miranda, I just had to say hey – I don’t think I’ve seen you since high school! I check your blog every now and then, and am constantly amazed at your wide variety of talents. Love the dress!

Posted March 5, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Hi there Tally! It has been a long time– weird how long in fact, we’re getting old:)

Thank you for your nice compliment. I hope you are well!

8. Posted May 22, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Super cute dress and print!

9. Posted June 30, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

in love with this dress! ;)