Yo Gabba Gabba Costume

pib pinterest Yo Gabba Gabba Costume IMG 1336 Yo Gabba Gabba Costume

Custom orders are my favorite. I was excited to hear from a returning customer, Norma, with her new idea: dressing her cute daughter as Plex from  for her upcoming Yo Gabba Gabba birthday party!
pib pinterest Yo Gabba Gabba Costume IMG 1334 Yo Gabba Gabba Costume

I’ve never seen Yo Gabba Gabba (we’re sort of a pbskids.org family:) so I did a litte google searching to get an idea of what Plex looks like (fun fact: the Yo characters were originally designed by Kidrobot! Rad.)  I decided to take a simple, modern approach on him. I choose a slightly stiff poplin fabric and a very basic A-line skirt to create a more boxy body, then added a gunmetal grey grosgrain ribbon for the “neck.” Of course I used good old freezer paper stenciling to paint the dot directly onto the dress. I stenciled those darling eyes onto white poplin (to keep the white background) and then stitched them onto the bodice.  The leggings are a simple stretch cotton whipped into robot legs.

pib pinterest Yo Gabba Gabba Costume IMG 1340 Yo Gabba Gabba Costume

I had originally planned on making a little headband with a red wool felted ball sticking up, but Norma said that her two-year-old would never keep it on. So, I went with a flip-clip instead, that can clip right onto the top of her head, or a ponytail. I actually think it will be cute for everyday use, too!

pib pinterest Yo Gabba Gabba Costume IMG 1332 Yo Gabba Gabba Costume

What expression would  you say this is? Surprised? Nervous? Excited for a birthday party? Yep, that must be it.
It’s so cute it makes me happy!
pixel Yo Gabba Gabba Costume

1. Alicia
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

We love Yo Gabba Gabba around here! I like it because some of my favorite bands perform (like The Shins!) and my girls love it because it’s like a half-hour long dance party. Cute costume!

Posted March 29, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Sounds great!
      Maybe we’ll make a Yo Gabba Gabba play date with some friends who have live tv (ours is just for movies!) Milo would dig a half-hour long dance party!

2. Posted March 29, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Yo Gabba Gabba is the best program for kids on tv, hands down! Parts of it are so funny and the music is wonderful. The “Party In My Tummy” song alone has changed our lives for the better. Also- Scott Shcultz and Christian Jacobs, the creators, are LDS, and it’s nice to support such a great endeavor from some of our own.

3. Posted March 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

That is too cute! I’ve never seen the Yo Gabba Gabba thing before, and at first I thought maybe it was a Lady Ga Ga song or something — because I’m not COMPLETELY out of touch with what’s hip and current, just MOSTLY out of touch with what’s hip and current! :-) Plus the only show my 8 and 11 year old boys want to watch on television is the Lego Ninjago show. I think I might dress up as Sensei Wu — for parent teacher conferences! Mwah-ha-ha! ;-)

Posted March 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

haha! I don’t know if toddler tv counts as either hip or current:) I can’t wait to see what my boys are into in a few years…we’ve not even approached legos yet. or ninjas. It’s coming, though!

You’ll win parent of the school award with your costume! xo

4. Shaon
    Posted October 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I love his dress! Unfortunately have no sewing skills. Can I costume order one?

5. Posted October 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Love this! Cute idea. Very creative.

6. tiffany
    Posted January 15, 2014 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I would also like to order one!! My neice is turning 2 on the 26t. She would just die if she had this!! I showed ther the picture of this dress and she wouldn’t let go of my phone and with the biggest smile on her face kept repeating “Plex, Plex!!”