Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One

Today the voting is open for the first round of Sewvivor! After you check out my entry, please take a minute to pop over to Family Ever After to cast your vote (for ME:) The voting only open today, so thanks in advance for your support!

pib pinterest Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One front edit Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One

I have been so excited to post about my first project, the Summer Chevron Dress. This first week, the challenge was to choose a tutorial from one of the judge’s blogs, and make it our own. When I spotted this pib pinterest Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round Onebias cut dress tutorial on Tatertots and Jello, I knew it was just the inspiration I needed to add something to my summer wardrobe that is bright, fun, and chevron (I mean, c’mon!)  IMG 1147 Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One

I used a favorite tee shirt to trace a pattern for the bodice and dolman sleeve, then I just added a gradual a-line to the skirt. Originally, this was going to be a  maxi dress, but the stretch jersey I ordered was a little heavier weight than I had imagined, so I shortened it to knee length after finishing most of the construction. I am really happy with how it turned out (and I still might need to order some lighter weight stripes for a chevron maxi!!)

pib pinterest Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One IMG 1164 Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One

In the tutorial I used, Michelle does a great job of explaining how she lined up the stripes by looking through the material while she traced her pattern, to ensure they were straight. I followed along, and mine came out exact as well. For someone like me who is a little afraid of trying to line things up correctly, this turned out well! I love how the chevron pattern is continuous around the whole dress, meeting at each of the four main seams.

close edit Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One

The details are what sets this dress apart from another. I added rows of shirring at the waist to give it a comfortable shape. Then I created little triangle tabs to gather up the edge of the sleeves. It had to be a triangle to stick with the chevron theme:) The pale blue pockets might just take the cake for my very favorite detail. You know how I like pockets in dresses!

pib pinterest Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One IMG 1234 Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One

The finished dress is super comfortable (sort of like pajamas…), on-trend, bright, modest, and original. I have already worn it a couple times, and know it will keep coming out more and more as the heat arrives in the DC area. It’s perfect for my busy life chasing the boys and sword fighting with sticks:)

pib pinterest Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One IMG 1283 Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One

HERE is the full tutorial for this dress, keep an eye out for some fun striped fabric for your own Summer Chevron Dress.

In the meantime (aka, right now:), head over to VOTE so I can SEWVIVE!!

pixel Summer Chevron Dress: Sewvivor Round One

1. Alicia
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

I LOVE this dress! Can’t wait for the tutorial, although I’m still a little wary of sewing with knits. I think the cuteness of this dress will be enough to help me overcome my fear!

2. chelsea
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Love it! Voted:) Good luck, yours really is great!

3. Tasha
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Cutest dress ever! Love it and I voted too- good luck I hope you win!

4. Posted April 4, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh. If you were selling this dress, I would buy it in every color. I went over to vote, but thought I would honestly vote for the one I liked the best, even if it wasn’t yours. Ummm, no contest. Some cute stuff on there, but yours blew it out of the water. Looking forward to seeing your stuff in the contest!

5. Posted April 4, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I LOVE it. I can’t wait for the tutorial. I definitely want to make one!

6. Laura
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Crap. I love that dress so much! You are so talented! I voted for you, it was by FAR the best choice! Well done and good luck!

7. Amy
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

You know you’ve got my vote. I am dying over how cute this dress is!

8. Posted April 4, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

I absolutely love this dress. How much would you charge to sell it?

Posted April 4, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

I have had a couple inquiries about that, and I’ll have to get back to you. I had a tough time sourcing this fabric (and bought the last of it from the shop where I did finally find it!) If I can get some more, I’d be happy to make a couple to sell:)

9. melissa
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

just voted… great job!!!

10. Alisha
    Posted April 5, 2012 at 3:27 am | Permalink

I would have voted for yours regardless- your dress was definitely the best! I need it. I’m plus-size and I can never find anything affordable and cute in my size. If you make any, let me know!

11. Posted April 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I love this, I voted for you, and I am making this today! Thanks so much for sharing :)

Posted April 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Good luck! I can’t wait to see yours!

12. Posted April 5, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

I am dying. This is the cutest dress ever! I LOVE it!! LOVE. IT.

Great job!

13. Posted April 6, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness, I WANT this dress, but I want you to make it for me. :) Maybe in coral or mint green would be good, as well.

14. Posted April 6, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

LOVE this dress – can’t wait for your tutorial :)
    Great you’ve made it to the top 8!

15. Posted April 8, 2012 at 12:13 am | Permalink

I absolutely LOVE this dress! I’m pinning it and maybe sometime I can make one like it! Following you now.

Posted April 8, 2012 at 12:17 am | Permalink

I’m glad you like it! I’ll be posting a tutorial of how to make one next week sometime, so it’ll be easy for you!

16. Posted April 8, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

I am in love with this great! Great job! I would love to know where you found that great fabric. I’ve had a hard time finding such nice wide stripes. Thanks!

Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:35 am | Permalink

Wide stripes are so hard to find! I finally spotted these on Etsy, and I bought the rest of the seller’s yardage. Etsy is a great resource for printed and striped knits in general, but there are still very few stripes wider than 1″. Let me know if you find some!

17. Posted April 17, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Beautiful dress! Great job lining up the stripes and adding pockets. I also like the tabs on the sleeves.

Posted April 17, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Thank you! It’s totally those details that make it:) I’ll be posting the tutorial on Friday, so check back in! xo

18. Posted October 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Terrific looking dress. Stunning!

Posted October 2, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Heather! This was a fun and easy dress to make!

19. Roverista
    Posted June 19, 2013 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Absolutely great dress!
    I linked your post here: http://roverista.com/chevron-love/