Home {away from home} Yellow Giraffe Curtain Holdbacks

I’ll be enjoying spending time with my family in Utah for a couple weeks. While I’m away I am sharing some favorite little bits and pieces from around my home in this mini-series called Home (Away from Home). We live in a 900 square foot apartment outside of Washington DC, and I try to be thoughtful about the way we use our space and the items we fill it with. I have  a pretty eclectic style, and feel like if I love something, it will work, regardless of whether or not things “go together.”  I hope you enjoy these little glimpses of my home. xoxo

Around the time I finished Milo’s grosgrain striped curtains, I knew I needed curtain holdbacks if they were ever to remain open. I think I made the casing in the top a touch too small, so they slide very awkwardly along the rod. That, combined with the added bulk of the black-out lining, and the awkward sill-length (due to the cursed under-window air vent) make a beautiful side-swept drape impossible. I had my eyes out for something that I loved for a year, to no avail. Then one day a couple months back I was wandering World Market and I spotted these perfect little yellow giraffe coat hooks (No longer available. Similar styles here, here, and here). Although these are coat hooks, not curtain hold-backs, I thought that the length of the giraffe’s neck would enable the curtain to stay put. And I was right!

Simple as that the curtains can be open to let in the light. I adore the mini giraffe busts, and think the pop of color is great. I sort of get a little chuckle every time I tuck the curtain behind the hook, because it feels like I’m tucking the giraffe’s very long, linen hair behind her ear…sort of romantic-like. Finding a super-simple solution to this type of home-decor challenge makes me happy. And who doesn’t love a bright yellow giraffe?

1. Posted July 24, 2012 at 12:17 am | Permalink

I have that little guy hanging in my bathroom!

Posted July 24, 2012 at 12:22 am | Permalink

Does he give you a little chuckle, too? :)

• Posted July 24, 2012 at 12:45 am | Permalink

He looks so cute holding my hand towel – like he just got out of the shower!

Posted July 24, 2012 at 12:53 am | Permalink

haha, that does sound cute! I actually have a third one I bought in case they didn’t work as holdbacks and I wanted a little trio of hooks. Maybe I need a bathing giraffe, too!

2. Posted July 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

This reminds me SO much of some giraffe figurines that my mom had growing up, that have somehow dissappeared. Love.
    Can’t wait to see you!!

3. Jacque Gumm
    Posted May 11, 2015 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

I would like to purchase 2 of the giraffe curtain holdbacks. Please contact me if these are available.
    Jacque Gumm

Posted May 11, 2015 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Hi there,

I don’t sell them. You’ll have to search online to see if they’re still available! Glad you like the idea, though!