The Kelly Skirt

pib pinterest The Kelly Skirt Kelly Skirt 2 The Kelly Skirt pib pinterest The Kelly Skirt Kelly Skirt 3 The Kelly Skirt pib pinterest The Kelly Skirt Kelly Skirt The Kelly Skirt

You know when you put something on that immediately makes you feel pretty, stylish, confident, comfortable and happy all instantly? It doesn’t happen that often, but I think everyone has a couple favorite pieces of clothing that are as fantastically great looking as great feeling. The Kelly Skirt is one of mine. A few months ago I found out cute Megan Nielsen lived nearby, and  then a week later she announced she was moving back to Australia! She was sweet enough to carve some time out of her packing schedule to meet up with me and spend a couple hours chatting at the park. Megan made our day when she came bearing gifts; patterns for me and cookies for my boys! Can you believe how sweet?! We  had become acquainted a couple years earlier when she asked me to guest post over on DIY Maternity, and I had admired her clothing lines and pattern designs gifts ever since. Then we got to know each other a little better through the Button Up Refashion Swap, but getting to hang out with her in the flesh was awesome. I wish I had known sooner we were neighbors. Megan is one of the nicest people I’ve met!

One of the patterns Megan gifted me was the Kelly Skirt, then in the testing phase. I went around and around about which fabric to use for it. When I pulled this lightweight kelly green from a pile of donated fabric last week, my decision was made. I love the way this turned out! I think it will go seamlessly through the seasons. It’s bright and lightweight for spring and summer, but corduroy feels right in the fall and winter, too!

The Kelly Skirt pattern is simple, straightforward, and very detailed. It would be a wonderful introduction to pleats, pockets, and buttons for a beginner. And I learned a few new tricks, too! The only variations I made were to lengthen the hem of the skirt by 3″ and replace the buttons and buttonholes with set-in pearl snaps. I’m Western like that. (And super duper lazy when it comes to buttons. Like running miles on a treadmill, I max out at three.) The whole skirt came together, start to finish, in one evening, and I wore it the next day. I can’t wait to make a couple more with fun variations to add to my handmade wardrobe.

pixel The Kelly Skirt

1. Posted August 22, 2012 at 9:46 am | Permalink

it really looks great. i am a big fan of corduroy, and of green. what a great skirt.

Posted August 22, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Thank you Kelli! I loved your version, too! And congratulations on the baby!!

2. Posted August 22, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Miranda!!! Oh my gosh i LOVE how your kelly skirt turned out!!! it looks fab on you – and i love the longer length – so cute!!
    Honestly, i was SO bummed when i realised we lived so close and never met till i moved :( I can’t believe we never noticed we lived so near to each other – it’s kind of ridiculous actually! I wish we still lived close – it would be so awesome to hang out again honey – you are literally one of sweetest nicest people i’ve met. We’ll just have to be long distance friends for a bit i guess :)
    Big hugs honey!!! XOXO

Posted August 22, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Megan! I love it. Love it.
      Funny thing, I always thought you lived in some rolling farmland somewhere…which I guess you did, I just didn’t realize it was here! I hope we can meet up at something cool in the future. You’ll have to let me know if you come back for a visit! xo

3. Posted August 22, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Oh how I love Navy Blue and Kelly Green….its so preppy and cute! You look adorable.

Posted August 22, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Right? The best combo. Thank you for your sweet compliment!

4. helen
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 3:31 am | Permalink

hi!

I saw a picture of your fab skirt on Pinterest. I immediately pinned it to my “dressmaking board” and headed over to Megan’s website to buy the pattern, along with another two! Just by adding a few inches to the length you have completely sold it to me. fantastic job!

Posted August 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Thank Helen! I hope you make it and love it, too! Megan’s patterns are fantastic, as you’ll find. I can’t wait to see what else she has in store!

5. Posted August 23, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

I love these colors together and I’m in love with your skirt!!! I just love green :) I’m going to have to stop by more often, I found your blog through Two Red Birthstones!

Posted August 23, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much Lauren! I love green, too. Um, and your photographs are really spectacular! Great job.

6. Posted August 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

LOVE. To death. I noticed it the other day on your profile pic, and was smitten. That color is perf. I would LOVE to be the benefactor of Megan’s patterns, you lucky girl!!

7. Posted September 12, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Wow I love this!! So cute! I love that you made the kelly skirt out of kelly green fabric.
    I also love the belt, it works really well with the skirt!

Posted September 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kessem! I love the Kelly green, too! It’s a great skirt. I can’t wait to make another!

8. Posted September 23, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Love your green Kelly skirt! Actually I love everything about your outfit! The navy looks great with that green and a like the addition of the little gold belt. I tried a big chunky brown belt with mine blogged here: http://sewcharleston.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/megan-nielsen-kelly-skirt-in-striped-denim/