Nautical Striped Boatneck Dress

pib pinterest Nautical Striped Boatneck Dress Striped Boatneck Tee Shirt Dress Nautical Striped Boatneck Dress

I thought it would be fun to share my version of this nautical stripe this week, since I showed off Kate’s cute sailor stripe anniversary dress on Monday. I love how the same great material can make two totally different looks. This dress might be my favorite thing I’ve ever made for myself. (I think that a lot, but this might really be it.) I was instantly in love with this ¬†inspiration dress, though I wanted to make a couple adjustments, like shortening the sleeves to elbow length, creating a boatneck instead of the round, and lowering the hem to the knee. It’s a total plus (and definitely mommy friendly) that my version is stretchy, comfy, washable knit rather than silk twill, too!

pib pinterest Nautical Striped Boatneck Dress Striped Boatneck Dress neckline Nautical Striped Boatneck Dress

I love the look of boatneck lines, and it is so perfect for the cooler weather. For this one, I started with a pattern that I rubbed off of a tee I remade for Gabby a couple years ago. I adjusted it to fit myself, and extended it into a straight tee shirt dress.

pib pinterest Nautical Striped Boatneck Dress Striped Boatneck Dress Sideview1 Nautical Striped Boatneck Dress

The fit is simple and flattering. The fabric is soft and comfortable. The stripe is classic and crisp. What’s not to love? I have to keep myself from wearing this dress every day, and I think I’m going to make a couple more in different prints to supplement the wardrobe.

Nautical Tee Shirt Dress Nautical Striped Boatneck Dress

It’s times like these that knowing how to sew really pay off! The ratio of handmade to ready to wear clothes in my closet is steadily increasing, especially as I continue to weed out clothes that I bought ages ago and either don’t love or don’t wear anymore. It’s pretty cool to be able to make things that I do love and wear! That said, I’m going to try to sew more for the boys…and maybe even Dave. Yikes! I bought a bunch of great technical fleece to make all of them winter jackets, so I’m committed!

Tonight Dave and I are going to do what I like to call a “cool date.” DC has such a cool, social vibe downtown, especially late. So, we’re going to see a movie then go to a late dinner somewhere awesome, like Standard, where we’ll sip bottled soda and remember when we were a young, dating couple without the cares of real life. It makes for great people watching to visit the social scenes of a big city, and I love the nervous energy! So fun.

Crazy that September is almost over! Have a great weekend and I’ll see you in October!

pixel Nautical Striped Boatneck Dress

1. Posted September 28, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

you KNOW I love this….nautical is my weak spot :)

very cute, as always!

2. Christy
    Posted September 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Love it. I think I will make my own. Although it is dresses like this that make me wanna wean the wee one. I would wear it to work, but is sitting in my office in my underwear and pumping too awkward. TMI?

3. Lisa
    Posted September 28, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I love this dress too. Do you just use a t-shirt that you like the fit of to make a pattern for something like that? Also, I’m totally with you Christy. I hate that all the dresses I love right now are impossible to nurse with. I don’t have the problem with pumping (I wear scrubs to work), but I would love to wear them to church and haven’t figured out how to nurse in public wearing something like this. You can’t just hike it up like a t-shirt and most of them the fabric doesn’t stretch enough to pull down.

Posted September 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

I actually used a pattern I rubbed off of a boatneck tee, but adjusted it to my size. It’s a pretty straightforward tee short dress–easy for me since I basically have the shape of a 15 year old boy: rectangle. ;) I’m glad you like it! Totally not a nursing dress, but something to look forward to!

4. Posted October 9, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

love this! i’m really a sucker for nautical-inspired clothing. except for sailor suits. on children. i draw the line there.

Posted October 10, 2012 at 1:35 am | Permalink

Ha! I actually have grown to love sailor suits on kids (not with all the stripes, etc. Just the shape.) When Milo was a baby, though, I dressed him all in big boy baby clothes. Poor Eliot lives in rompers and pjs!

• Posted October 10, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

you know, with my first kids i was into that “dress them like tiny adults” thing…shoes at 2 weeks, jeans and button-downs. as i had more kiddos i realized how uncomfortable that must be. elliot gets one pieces, rompers, jams, if it’s warm–just a diaper. she didn’t wear shoes until she walked. i like to think it’s my more mature approach to parenting. ;) (and clearly NOT laziness, ha!)

5. Posted October 14, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

It was so nice to meet you this weekend. I was telling everyone in my group we have to go again next year. This was my favorite dress from sewing summit…..not that I was stalking your style;)