A League of Their Own Team Costumes

pib pinterest A League of Their Own Team Costumes A League of Their Own by OLM A League of Their Own Team Costumes

Happy Halloween! It’s felt a little like Halloween since June around here, since that’s about when I started thinking about and taking orders for costumes. You would think I’d be totally sick of them by now…but I’m not! Okay, the sewing through the night gets a little old, but I seriously adore creating costumes, and dressing up in them. This year, I had other plans for Dave and myself. We were going to match the boys’ fireman theme and dress up as a fire hydrant (Dave) and a burning building (me). A turn of events brought one of my homemade costumes back to me (the fit wasn’t quite right! Oops! It happens.) We took advantage of the perfect Rockford Peach Costume for me, and I whipped up a last minute Coach Jimmy Dugan costume for Dave. They were perfect! We even won the Best Team Costume at our friend’s Halloween Bash. I think we’ll tuck these ones away for the future. You never know when you’ll need a quick costume!

Rockford Peach Costume by OLM A League of Their Own Team Costumes

My Rockford Peach dress is an adult version of this little Peach Costume I made a couple years ago. I’ve made several of these now in both children and adult sizes, so it’s too bad that the fit on this one didn’t turn out as the client wanted. I use a basic bodice block for the top, then slash the front on the diagonal and add inches for the placket and buttons. The collar is a simple pointed collar, and the skirt is a basic circle skirt drafted to measurements. (If I had made this for myself, I’d have lengthened it a couple inches! It worked great with some homemade red bikers, though!)

Adult Rockford Peach Costume A League of Their Own Team Costumes

I love the shape of this dress. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the little blue dress I made a few months ago. I think I’ll make one for myself in a shirting and see how it fits into my wardrobe. The client requested the number #29, but it was perfect, because I’m coming up on the big 3-0 and this was a fun Hurrah to the last Halloween of my twenties!

Adult Rockford Peach Dress by OLM A League of Their Own Team Costumes

The details I get asked about the most on this costume are the patches. The first few times I made it, I cut the logos by hand and used the freezer-paper method to paint them. Then I got a silhouette cutter, and designed the logos there, which made the cutting process easier. But this year was by far the easiest and most professional. I designed the logos in illustrator, printed them onto transparencies, then screen printed the patches up at Pyramid Atlantic Art Center. I was able to print 6 sets of patches in about 10 minutes, once I had made the screens. Three sets were attached to costumes, two sets had been ordered last-minute for DIY costumes, and I was saving one extra set just in case…I had no idea I would need it to use on Dave’s costume!! That couldn’t have worked out better!

pib pinterest A League of Their Own Team Costumes A League of Their Own Costumes A League of Their Own Team Costumes

I bought our red socks and red caps at Wal-Mart. The caps are Washington Nationals caps. I cut circles out of white felt and used a fabric marker to draw the R, then I ironed them on with fusible interfacing. Dave was a little concerned that I had defaced a perfectly good baseball cap, especially one for our home team, but I assured him the felt will pull right off after Halloween. I hope it does!

pib pinterest A League of Their Own Team Costumes Jimmy Dugan Costume 1 A League of Their Own Team Costumes

I’m beyond happy with how Dave’s last second costume turned out. I used a white tee shirt and a pair of white sweatpants as the starting point. First, I tea-dyed them a more natural-looking sepia tone. Have you ever tea-dyed? It’s super simple. Just boil a pot of water and add several tea bags, then drop in your fabric. Natural fibers absorb more color, and it tends to stick longer. I left these dying for about an hour, then rinsed them in cold water and put them in the dryer. The color came out great. They look old and a little dingy, which is perfect for a 1940′s baseball coach! If I wash them with detergent, it may all disappear, so I’ll stick to hand washing them.

pib pinterest A League of Their Own Team Costumes Jimmy Dugan Costume 2 A League of Their Own Team Costumes

I had Dave try on the tee before work, and I drew the lines where I wanted to add the piping detail. After the shirt was dyed, I cut along those lines, and then used a long strip of stretchy rib-knit, folded in half, to add the detail as I stitched the pieces back together. I did the same along the edge of the sleeves. You can see the unfinished edges inside. I literally sliced, sandwiched a band of piping, then stitched it back together! It couldn’t have been easier.

pib pinterest A League of Their Own Team Costumes Jimmy Dugan Costume A League of Their Own Team Costumes  For the pants, all I needed to do was cut them to knicker-length and add wide belt loops. So, that’s what I did! I used the fabric that I cut from the bottom of the legs to make the loops. Once Dave had the shirt tucked in, and the belt on, he looked the part. Did you see A League of Thier Own? It’s one of my favorite movies. This scene is classic…

pib pinterest A League of Their Own Team Costumes Halloween Family1 A League of Their Own Team Costumes

I’m feeling incredibly blessed for my awesome little Team this Halloween. These three boys make me so happy and fill my days with excitement. I can’t wait to hit the streets tonight, and join them in the giddy magic of trick-or-treating (it’s so nice to have some children as an excuse to go door to door again!!)
I’ve got a bunch more costumes to share over the next week, so I hope YOU don’t get sick of them. Have fun tonight!
pixel A League of Their Own Team Costumes

1. Melanie Anderson
    Posted November 1, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink

love the costumes! hope it was a happy halloween! xoxo

2. Posted November 6, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

love this! are you crying??? there’s no CRYING in BASEBALL!!!

3. Posted November 6, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Ahhhhhhh so cute! One of my FAVORITE movies…..what a great costume!

4. Jessica
    Posted November 17, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Can I buy these? Please email me crazycakeart@gmail.com

5. Teresa Prokup
    Posted December 16, 2012 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Interested in purchasing. Please email me ASAP. Thanks!

Posted December 18, 2012 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Hi Teresa! Unfortunately I’m not taking orders right now. I will take a limited number of orders for this costume beginning in June for the Halloween season. Thanks!

6. Irene
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Your email does not come out in the contact page ? Would love an order, though.

Posted February 17, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Hi there! The contact page is fixed now, thank you! Please set yourself a reminder to email me the first week of June, as that is when I’ll be taking orders for Halloween 2013!! Thanks!

7. Meredith
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Hey there!
    I am interested in possibly ordering 1 dress and 1 guy shirt. Please let me know if you are taking orders Thanks. : )

8. Patty Gentile
    Posted June 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

My daughters want to be Dottie and Kit for Halloween this year. They are 7 & 8 years old. I saw the costumes that you made online and loved them. Are you taking orders for this Halloween? Thanks.

9. Posted July 7, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Hi! my boyfriend and I were searching for two years for a Jimmy Dugan costume cause it’s our favorite movie. Could I purchase one from you for this Halloween? Please let me know, that would be amazing. You did an awesome job! This would be the coolest surprise for him!

Thank you!

Deidre

10. Kelly
    Posted August 4, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I just stumbled upon your page & was wondering if you were still taking orders for these costumes. They are adorable!

11. Megan
    Posted August 7, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Hello! Wondering if these are still available for purchase/custom for a 6 and 4 year old and possibly a 2 year old jimmy? Thank you

12. Craig
    Posted August 30, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Can you make me a jimmy Dugan outfit? More than willing to pay(of course) you just did it so right! Please email me :)

13. Josh
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Wow!! My wife and I are having a softball tournament for Halloween and I would love to order a Jimmy Dugan uniform for myself. That is if it’s not too late? Please let me know, my email is joshdeimeke@gmail.com

14. Chrissy Harris
    Posted September 7, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I would like to place an order! How do I do so??

15. Cassie Stamps
    Posted September 24, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

I love your work. My fiance and I are having a baseball wedding on 5/17/14. Would you be able to make 5 of the female ones for us? How much would that cost? Our colors are red and blue for Texas Rangers our favorite team. I wonder if it would be possible to get 1 in blue as she is on my fiance’s side (grooms-woman), 3 in Red for my bridesmaids, and 1 in white for me at the reception.

Let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
    Cassie Stamps

16. Amanda Maven
    Posted January 24, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I was wondering where/how did you get your Peach and AAGBL patches? Did you make them yourself? A friend with an embroidery machine? Find them somewhere? I’m planning this outfit for July 2014 and would love some insight!

Much thanks!
    Ms. Maven

Posted February 17, 2014 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

I made the patches with the freezer paper stencil method. Tedious, but they turned out fun!

17. Sabrina
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Hi there, I was wondering if you are still doing this, I know it’s not that much time but 6 of us want to do this for Halloween this year. Just wondering how much per person and if you are able to do this!? Thank You!!

18. Renee
    Posted October 21, 2014 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

R u by any chance still taking orders for the league of their own? If not when will u start taking them next year thanks. Renee

19. Charlene
    Posted October 23, 2014 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Hi there! I know this is last minute but do you still make these costumes for A League Of Their Own? We love your design and it’s much better than what’s for sale online. Thanks!