Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown

I spent a truly inspiring weekend at the Sewing Summit in Salt Lake City. The days and nights were filled with learning, connecting, and planning. I’ll share a full recap next week when I return home.

While I was at the conference, sweet Rebecca got married in the gown I designed and made for her. Today I want to share some photos of her beautiful finished cowl neck wedding dress. This dress is different, in a special way, from anything I have seen before. It fits her just right, both figure and personality. The dress is made of four-ply silk crepe, with pleats on the bodice, waistband, and sleeve hems, a draping cowl neckline, and a fitted straight skirt ending in a mini chapel train.

pib pinterest Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown Cowl and Pleat Bridal Gown Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown pib pinterest Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown Cowl Wedding Gown Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown pib pinterest Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown Close Up Cowl Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown I loved the idea of this dress from the first meeting I had with the bride, Rebecca. We met at a bridal shop for her to try on several styles while we talked about optional lines, fits, and details. She mentioned not being sure of what she wanted, but as she tried on the different gowns she was able to pick out things she liked, and things she definitely did not. Her aesthetic is simple, classic, elegant, and somewhat formal. And, she is absolutely tiny! I loved the idea of a soft, tailored gown for her, rather than a more structured fit. It took a little discussing, but she agreed that she didn’t need all of the boning and corseting, and that her dress could be more comfortable without it.

The cowl neck came into the conversation naturally, as she told me about her favorite shirts, which are wide neck knit tees with cowl necks. Then, when one of the waistbands that we tried on was several rows of pleats, I thought that could be the perfect balance for the draped silk neckline.  After a few minutes more we had the elbow-length sleeves and chapel train worked into the idea. I went home and sketched for a little while, and the design was born.

pib pinterest Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown Cowl and Pleats Custom Wed Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown pib pinterest Cowl Neck Custom Wedding GownClose Up Sleeve Cowl Neck Custom Wedding GownCowl and Pleats Wedding Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown Cowl and Pleats Dress Back Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown pib pinterest Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown Cowl and Pleats Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown  Cowl and Pleats Custom Wedding Dress 11 Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown

It’s truly incredible to turn an idea into reality. The process of making this dress, start to finish, took a couple months. That’s a long project for this nap-time seamstress! There were stressful moments interspersed with periods of really fun creative work. The time and stress all paid off when I zipped that zipper, and the dress was exactly as we had imagined.

I’ll have a follow up post sometime soon to share some of the behind the scenes of the making of this dress, for those of you interested.
pixel Cowl Neck Custom Wedding Gown

1. Posted October 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

WOW…it’s amazing!! So beautiful!

2. Posted October 16, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Wow. So inspiring.

3. cristie
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

absolutely elegant…stunning. the drape is perfect on the cowl and the train. congrats! xox

4. Posted October 16, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

This is simply stunning! It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen. The details are phenomenal. Great job!!!

5. Posted October 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

This is absolutely gorgeous, Miranda. Seriously amazing work. I wish I had your skills!!

6. alysa b
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

So beautiful! I agree with everything Michelle said, it’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen! Wrapping my head around all the work that went into this gorgeous dress – I am simply impressed. Awe-some!

7. Tasha
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

This dress is AMAZING!!!! Love it!

8. Posted October 17, 2012 at 12:51 am | Permalink

You made a wedding dress. A WEDDING dress. I’m totally speechless right now, it’s amazing. I loved getting to meet you and eat your french chocolate :) Such a bummer we don’t live closer!

Posted October 17, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Thank you Leanne! I’ve made a couple, but this one might be my favorite! I loved meeting you, too. You should come visit DC…it’s awesome! xo

9. Posted October 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

What a stunning dress – so elegant

10. Christy G
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

It’s beautiful. I especially love the sleeve detail with the buttons. Well done. Maybe I’ll have the guts to make my daughters wedding dress at least 25 years from now :)

Posted October 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Totally! But if you’re anything like me, just plan a few months to make it happen… :)

11. Posted October 18, 2012 at 12:59 am | Permalink

this is beyond amazing!!!! absolutely beautiful!

Posted October 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much Vanessa! I sure wish I would’ve had a couple of your photography tricks during this nighttime, living room, lamplight shoot! A lot of post production helped:)

12. Posted October 18, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Holy Moley Guacamole Miranda – this is simply amazing. I am speechless! You made such a gorgeous wedding dress – I am so impressed. The fabric, the pleats, the draping neck – everything is just stunning. Perfection!

Posted October 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Jess! It was a long long process, but worth the time in the end!

13. Brooke
    Posted October 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Visiting from Oh, Sweet Joy! What at beautifully detailed dress! Gorgeous!

Posted October 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you Brooke! Happy to have you!

14. Posted October 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

just beautiful! congratulations on your creation. i am sure the bride felt the love and care that went into every stitch.

Posted October 22, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Thank you Erica!

15. Posted November 11, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

this is gorgeous, something about the pleating on the arms and waist and the slim skirt make it seem like a dress you’d see on downton abbey. great design! i love that you carried the pleats underneath the cowl.

Posted November 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dixie! I totally agree. We didn’t specifically aim for a period gown, but with the bride’s love of simple elegance (and Jane Austen) it really came together that way. Thank you so much for the compliment! xo