Alt Handmade // Colonel Mustard Velvet Pencil Skirt + Studded Shoulder Top

Alt Handmade Clue Party Mustard One Little Minute Blog Alt Handmade // Colonel Mustard Velvet Pencil Skirt + Studded Shoulder Top

The Thursday night party this year at Alt Summit was a Clue theme. Every attendee was invited to choose a color and run with it. I waffled back and forth between Green and Plum for a while (two of my favorites) and then I was digging around in a box of fabric I salvaged from Dave’s grandparent’s ranch and pulled out a full yard of this bright, rich, brilliant yellow velvet that had been his grandmother’s. It was the kind of fabric that made me want to scrunch up my face and coo, as if to a newborn baby…just absolutely heart-melting. Raise your hand if you’ve ever felt like that with a terrific fabric in hand. It’s pretty awesome.

I decided immediately I would be turning the velvet into a tea-length pencil skirt (inspired by this) and go to the party as Col. Mustard.

Alt Handmade Mustard Clue Party Details One Little Minute Alt Handmade // Colonel Mustard Velvet Pencil Skirt + Studded Shoulder Top

I used the Grainline Studio Moss Mini Skirt pattern as a starting point for this skirt, and made several adjustments. First, I lengthened the pattern to hit me mid-calf. I decided to keep the pockets, but eliminated the fly and moved the closure to an exposed zipper in the back center seam. It took me a few tries to get the zipper to lie flat, meanwhile the yolk walked slowly more and more asymmetrical. I minded the asymmetrical yolk a lot less than the bulging zipper (and at that point there wasn’t much I could do…) so I was happy with how it turned out. The final adjustment was to create a kick-slit along the back seam for easy walking.

Working with the velvet was relatively tricky. I don’t frequently use pins, but I found them indispensable when sewing with velvet so the pile wouldn’t slide as I stitched the seams. Because it was thick, I lined the pockets and faced the waistband with a super lightweight charmeuse. Also, I found hand stitching to be the best blind hem option, although I am usually opposed (aka too lazy) to hand stitch anything! Overall, I love the way the velvet skirt turned out. I loved wearing it at the party, and think it will be a versatile piece to wear in the future.

Alt Handmade Clue Party Mustard One Little Minute Alt Handmade // Colonel Mustard Velvet Pencil Skirt + Studded Shoulder Top

For the party, I paired the skirt with a cream-colored tee with studded shoulders. I used the Renfrew pattern to make the basic tee out of a medium weight interlock knit from JoAnn, then used the gold studs from my Fashion Decorator to stud the shoulders. I began using the actual machine, but found it easier to dot the studs with glue, stick the prongs through the fabric, then just bend them with my fingers, since they were pretty light weight. The studs were such a terrific detail for a comfy tee, and I loved how they made it instantly modern.

The scarf was a yard of chiffon, simple hemmed with my rolled hem foot.  After adding some gold accessories and pinning a couple feathers into my hair, I felt comfortable, festive, and ready to party!
Emmerson Frye Leopard Heels One Little Minute Blog Alt Handmade // Colonel Mustard Velvet Pencil Skirt + Studded Shoulder Top

I finished off the look with my leopard heels. Turns out I’m sort of in love with leopard these days (leggings + wrap). It’s more of a neutral than a print in my eyes, and I think these heels give the perfect edge to any outfit. Except outfits involving pants, since I’m not yet a heels-with-pants sort of lady.

This whole outfit was fun to rock at Alt, and I know I’ll get a lot of use out of the separates individually. Man, I love to sew.

pixel Alt Handmade // Colonel Mustard Velvet Pencil Skirt + Studded Shoulder Top

1. Posted January 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Love this whole look– it’s really fun and cute! Leopard is a great neutral. :)

Posted January 31, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks Sonya! I think I’ll break it up and wear all the different pieces a lot, which is great. Nothing like having a party to go to to get me sewing!

2. Posted January 31, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

::raises hands:: ME ME ME!! i luuurrrve fabrics. i’m with ya there! and you look awesome! totally digging the mustard skirt…which i desperately wanted, finally made myself one from some super pretty mustard linen blend, and then promptly shrunk. darn those 12 year olds who don’t do laundry the way you would…;)

Posted January 31, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

haha, I’m almost 30 and still have major laundry issues:) No one to blame is a good thing I guess!

3. Posted January 31, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Dang, sometimes you kill me. Yellow velvet pencil skirt? AND a stubtle studded shirt? Where can I buy the exact copy of this?

Posted January 31, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad you like it! Studs make everything better:)

4. Posted January 31, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

that skirt! with the v in the back and the velvet! LOVEEEEE!

Posted January 31, 2013 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Thank you Kelsey! The Moss Mini Skirt pattern from Grainline Studio is really awesome. This is the second one I’ve made, and the only adjustment I made on the first was to lengthen to my knees. That yolk in the back is my fave, too!

5. Posted January 31, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Miranda! You are so talented! I am very excited to follow along on your blog! It was lovely meeting you at Alt!
    xoxo
    Alix

Posted January 31, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

You’re so nice! It was great to meet you, too! Alt was just a huge blast and I can’t wait to get home next week and explore everyone’s blogs!

6. Posted January 31, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

wow wow, i love every bit of it. The skirt is amazing! and I love that you even made the shirt!!! the studs totally make it super cool.

Posted January 31, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks Anna! I love the skirt, too (the velvet makes it totally pet-worthy, which is kind of funny, but so comfy!) And, I clearly took my 100% handmade seriously, making every. thing. but it was so fun to bust out the renfrew pattern again. It’s a keeper!

7. Emily
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 8:46 am | Permalink

This skirt is amazing. I might have to order one for myself one day:)

8. Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Ohhhhh this is my favorite so far!!!!

9. Posted March 9, 2013 at 12:07 am | Permalink

This skirt is so fun! I love that it’s velvet, I love the color, and I love the fit! Great job!

10. Posted June 13, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

I love that skirt! Such a bright, vibrant color, and you styled it so well. :)