Alexandria to Austin

goodbye VA Alexandria to Austin

Well folks, life is crazy. Just weeks after we discovered we were expecting our third baby, Dave received a fantastic job offer in Austin, Texas and we decided it was time to say goodbye to the DC area. The move was crazy quick and insane. One week we were there, bustling around the apartment and city just as we had for the last four years. The next week the whole place was cleared out into our PODS and we were strapping the kids in for a cross-country road trip! Insane. Luckily, we feel super excited about our new opportunities, and are ready to get settled in. Plus, Austin has amazing food. So, we knew we’d love it!

austin house hunting Alexandria to Austin

Everything we own is still packed up, minus a few suitcases of clothes. So, instead of sewing (or cooking, or reading, or playing games…) in my free time I am house hunting. It takes a heckavalotta work and time to find the perfect home, turns out. I’ve driven all over the North Austin neighborhood and fallen in love with several homes (mostly over my budget, of course!) We’ve finally started narrowing down the search parameters and will hopefully be getting the actual buying process started soon. I can’t wait.

austin summer Alexandria to Austin

And, in the meantime, I’m keeping these two busy with some summer fun I cleared out of the Target sale aisle. We craigslisted upon a great little rental home for the summer with a huge, shady backyard and my boys are loving every bit of it. There is so much to learn and explore in this new city, but I feel lucky to already have a couple fun friends to spend time with (including some fun blogging friends like Dana, and Melly).

All in all this has been a great move for us, however unexpected, and we are thrilled to begin a new chapter in the family adventure book.

pixel Alexandria to Austin

1. Posted June 8, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Welcome to Austin! We’re in for a hot summer :) Good luck on the house hunt.

2. Jaime
    Posted June 8, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

I visit my aunt in Austin as much as I can- I love it there!! Make sure you check out the common thread, remnants, fabriker, and Dixie DIY’s blog for all things sewing related in Austin. Also, the steeping room in the domain at round rock has the most wonderful scones with clotted cream- pricy but a good date. So excited to hear about how Austin suits you and all of the fun places you will find!

3. Jamie
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Welcome to Austin!

4. Posted June 9, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

So glad you guys are loving Austin! Happy house hunting!

5. Barbie
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Miranda. I LOVE Austin!! That definitely suits you, I think. Lots of parks, plenty of style, and fun things to discover. Congrats on the fun change!

6. Posted June 9, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on the move! My husband is currently job hunting and I am excited/sad about the idea of moving. We have loved our little town and community we live in, but we both feel it is time to move on! By the way, we just bought a slip n slide yesterday for our kiddos to enjoy!

7. Posted June 9, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

How exciting!! You guys are having an awesome year so far, the little dudes look like they are having SO MUCH FUN!! Glad everything is going well, Austin seems like so much fun. One of these days I’m going to make it down there, I have a few friends I’ve never gone to visit! Good luck with the house hunting!!

8. Posted June 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Welcome to Austin!! If you ever need food recommendations I love to eat ;) Mmmm Torchy’s, Guero’s, Trudy’s, Home Slice… Dang, now I need a snack. Also, good luck house hunting! I’m a Realtor so I know how crazy house hunting in Austin is right now! Ha.

9. Posted June 28, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

I hope your move and pregnancy are going well. I can’t wait to see how you document this one!

I stopped by to say your posts are missed but I come and browse every now and then anyway :)

Have a nice weekend!

10. Posted July 1, 2013 at 1:03 am | Permalink

My cousin lives there and loves it! What a fun new adventure. Enjoy!

webberwonderland.blogspot.com

11. Melanie
    Posted July 14, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

I grew up in Round Rock and I love it there! Georgetown is also a great area! Good luck finding a new home.

12. Posted July 18, 2013 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Congrats on the move, I’ve heard Austin is great! That said, I am sorry that we never managed to catch up in VA. You’ll have to remind me about the name of Dave’s aunt and uncle in Oakton :)